This video summarizes what free votes are, and their role in the wider Parliamentary system.
This video covers:
- Free votes are votes where no whipping is enforced.
- Thus MP’s are left to decide for themselves on personal conviction alone.
- Free Votes usually are on matters of morality or ethics.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The voting and wider procedure of Parliament.
- The importance of separation between party manifesto and matters of deep moral importance.
With thanks to
- Sir Malcolm Rifkind MP
- Baroness Boothroyd
Image – House of Commons (UK Parliament-Catherine Bebbington)