This video talks about the nature of statutory instruments, and the scrutiny that they often pass in Parliament.
This video covers:
- Laws often omit details and allow ministers to introduce the details as ‘orders’ called statutory instruments.
- Some must be approved by Parliament in what is known as the Affirmative Resolution Procedure.
- Others will take immediate effect.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The system of checks within Parliament that allows for greater scrutiny and accountability.
- The specific procedure for statutory instruments.
With thanks to:
- Lord Norton
Image – Big Ben (UK Parliament-Jessica Taylor)