This video summarises the scrutiny brought upon legislation before is it introduced as a formal bill.
This video covers:
- Draft Bills – submitted a year prior to the bill being formally discussed.
- This allows Parliament to discuss the bill is general.
- Draft Bills are often sent to a Joint Committee for detailed scrutiny.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The detail of scrutiny in place in the UK political system to ensure checks and greater accountability.
- The specific procedure for such scrutiny prior to a bill formally coming before Parliament.
With thanks to
- Paul Evans
- Baroness Smith
Image – Black Rod in Commons (UK Parliament-Roger Harris)