This video delves into the various ways and means through which Parliament is transparent to the British Public.
This video covers:
- Parliament is fully televised, as well as having public galleries, which both allow the public access to Parliament.
- The media and journalists are allowed to interview MP’s and ministers.
- Everything that is said in both Houses and in Committees is recorded verbatim.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- Parliamentary oversight, accountability, and transparency; and the mechanisms for the latter.
- The Checks and Balances system in the UK.
With thanks to
- John Mann MP
- Keith Vaz MP
- Baroness Stowell
- Baroness Boothroyd
Image – Members Entrance (UK Parliament-Jessica Taylor)