This video delves into the question of the Opposition’s role as a mechanism of Parliament and the wider political system.
This video covers:
- The opposition holds government to account by countering it.
- The opposition raises issues of the day that the government may have overlooked or did not bring up.
- The opposition can often support the government where their ideologies align.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The crucial role opposition plays in parliament and politics.
- The not necessarily adversarial, but symbiotic nature of the opposition.
With thanks to
- Natascha Engel MP
- Lord Cormack
- Baroness Boothroyd
Image – Cromwell Green (UK Parliament-Jessica Taylor)