This video is a summary of the duties and roles of the Speakers for the House of Commons and Lords.
This video covers:
- The Speaker of the House of Commons keeps order and gives procedural advice..
- The Speaker of the House of Commons can cast a deciding vote if there is a legislative tie.
- Both Speakers are elected and are first and foremost servants of Parliament..
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The roles and duties of the Speakers of both Houses.
- The fundamental servitude to Parliament in both of these roles.
With thanks to
- John Bercow MP
- Sir Malcolm Rifkind MP
- Baroness Boothroyd
- Baroness Smith
- Baroness D’Souza
Image – House of Commons Speaker (UK Parliament-Catherine Bebbington)