This video discusses the specific powers wielded by Peers within their House and within Parliament.
This video covers:
- Peers can submit written or oral questions to ministers.
- Peers can ask for issues to be discussed by way of amendment.
- Peers can scrutinise legislation passed by the House of Commons.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The roles and powers of Peers.
- The role and power of Peers as a House in conjunction with the lower house.
With thanks to
- Baroness Scotland
- Lord Tyler
Image – House of Lords (UK Parliament-Catherine Bebbington)