This video summarizes the role, duties and necessity of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.
This video covers:
- The independence of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.
- The duty to create a report on any complaint against and MP.
- The duty to then pass said report to the Committee on Standards and Privileges for consideration and decision.
Teachers can use this video as an introductory tool for students, at the start of a lesson, or as a summary at the end.
The video provides a sound summary of main topic areas and covers key points, including:
- The safeguards for support within the House of Commons.
- The independence of this support from the Government.
- The specific role of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards in this support, and his/her roles and duties.
With thanks to:
- Baron Lisvane (Robert Rogers)
Image – Throne Canopy House of Lords (UK Parliament)